Director, Library Technical Services -- Northeastern State University -- Tahlequah, OK
Northeastern State University is an Oklahoma State agency. In accordance with such, any applicant hired for this position must provide a social security card to Human Resources during the hiring process.
This position provides oversight to the library department that obtains and organizes intellectual content.
- Coordinate all efforts to maintain intellectual control over NSU Libraries’ collections.
- Coordinate and oversee the very complex workflow of Technical Services. Make adjustments to workflow in order to optimize precision in intellectual control and efficiency in processing.
- Perform higher level Acquisitions activities such as maintaining vendor contracts and subscriptions, while delegating appropriate tasks to the Acquisitions Assistant.
- Serve as a second professional cataloger to assist the Catalog Librarian when needed.
- Recruit, train, supervise, mentor, and evaluate the Catalog Librarian and all Technical Services staff except for the copy catalogers (who report to the Catalog Librarian).
- Oversee NSU Libraries’ materials budget and coordinate materials purchase with Research and Instructional Services librarians.
- Maintain Library subscribed electronic resources in the Discovery Knowledge Base.
- Represent Technical Services on the Library Leadership Team. Communicate with the Executive Director of Libraries and other library leaders regarding initiatives within Technical Services.
- May perform systems management functions in the Technical Services area of the library management system.
- Prepare reports concerning Technical Services functions and library collections for the Executive Director of Libraries.
- Make recommendations to the Executive Director of Libraries about personnel matters, budget needs, and general operational needs of Technical Services.
- Serve on university faculty committees as assigned.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of a broad view of intellectual control at the university and the ways it affects public services while also ensuring precision in the details of intellectual control in a department with multiple staff members.
- Knowledge of professional level skills and experience in cataloging and classification including knowledge of RDA and AACR2 cataloging rules; Library of Congress, Dewey Decimal, and Superintendent of Documents classification systems; and Library of Congress Subject Headings. Requires facility with relevant cataloging interfaces.
- Skill in mid-level management of recruiting, training, and supervising personnel and also an advanced knowledge of library technical services.
- Skill in workflow management and insight, also the willingness to experiment while maintaining precision.
- Skill in budgeting, communication, collegiality and leadership.
- Skill in delegating, organization and attention to detail.
- Skill with technical interfaces and vigilance.
- Skill in negotiating, diplomacy, and close attention to needs of the department and new developments in Technical Services.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
Some aspects of this work, such as maintaining serials subscriptions and contracts, can be tedious. Cataloging requires great attention to detail and precision. At the same time, this person must be in touch with other library departments and needs, and must be able to advocate for Technical Services and assist other library areas.
The purpose of this position is to enable students and researchers to locate and retrieve intellectual content. It enables public services librarians to guide users in an appropriate direction and manage assigned office operations. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of those operations.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of a professional master’s degree accredited by the American Library Association or international equivalent.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years experience or service.
- Experience as a professional cataloger.
- Four plus years experience in library technical services.
Annual salary $48,768.00 with excellent benefits, including generous leave time.
Projected hire date June 1, 2021.
Applications accepted until May 15, 2021.
NOTE: Posting will close to applicants at ll:59 p.m. on the date above. An application cannot be changed after it has been submitted.