Instructor of Library Services -- Northeastern State University -- Tahlequah, OK
Northeastern State University is an Oklahoma State agency. In accordance with such, any applicant chosen for this position must provide a Social Security card to Human Resources during the hiring process. This is a 12-month, on campus position.
This position serves as liaison for the College of Business and Technology, and Department of Music, and will provide reference and research assistance.
- Serves as resource coordinator and liaison to assigned academic programs, departments, and colleges.
- Provides specialized reference assistance to researchers in assigned disciplines.
- Provides on-call reference assistance on a rotating schedule.
- Designs library guides and finding aids in assigned disciplines.
- Provides library instruction for general education courses and courses in assigned academic disciplines.
- Select monographs and databases for purchase in support of assigned academic programs, departments, and colleges.
- Evaluates library collection needs in liaison areas, articulates criteria for deaccessioning, and pulls items for weeding.
- Participate on faculty committees as assigned.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Initiative in communication, diplomacy, understanding of academic culture, understanding vocabulary of particular academic disciplines.
- Knowledge of resources in specialized disciplines, strong interviewing skills, online search skills.
- Broad knowledge of the academic universe.
- Basic knowledge of the work of other library departments and of higher education more generally.
- Knowledge of resources in academic disciplines and skills in using specialized delivery interfaces such as Blackboard and LibGuides.
- Strong knowledge of information resources in assigned areas and ability to communicate and negotiate with teaching faculty.
- Knowledge of information retrieval strategies and information resources.
- Mathematical skills and proficiency in applying university data.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Requires a minimum of a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), Master of Science Library Science (MSLS), MA in Library Science (MA), or Master of Library Science (MLS). Must be accredited by the American Library Association.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the use of specialized bibliographic databases and references sources.
One to two years experience preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience with excellent benefits package including generous leave time.
Projected hire date July 1, 2021.
Applications accepted until May 31, 2021.
PLEASE NOTE: Posting will close to applicants at 11:59 p.m. on the date above. An application cannot be changed after it has been submitted.