Assistant/Associate Librarian -- University of North Texas -- Denton, TX
Posting Title: Assistant/Associate Librarian
Department: UNT-University Library-Gen-141000
College/School: University Libraries
Job Location: Denton
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
The University of North Texas is a Carnegie-ranked Tier One public research university with nearly 40,000 students. UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities and has been designated as both a Minority Serving Institution and Hispanic Serving Institution and stands committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in its pursuit of academic excellence.
With 7.5 million people and two international airports, DFW is the fourth-largest metro area in the United States. DFW is racially, ethnically, religiously, and culturally rich and maintains a long-standing commitment to the arts exemplified by local attractions such as the Dallas Arts District and the Fort Worth Cultural District. UNT's proximity to these major metropolitan centers ensures that our new colleague will be able to access a wide range of activities and cultural experiences. UNT is located in Denton, Texas, a growing city with a small-town feel and a thriving arts and music scene centered on its downtown Square and is connected by highways and light rail to the major transportation hubs and big-city attractions of Dallas and Fort Worth, about 40 miles away. Want to know more about why you should consider coming to Denton? Check out Discover Denton. The university also has a generous benefits, leave and perks package.
A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries' integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to an abundant collection of more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative and inclusive programs and support to enhance the intermingling of teaching, learning, and research at UNT.
In the UNT Libraries, we define diversity in the broadest terms because we recognize that the best solutions come from a diverse mix of perspectives and backgrounds. We value the qualities, both visible and invisible, that our colleagues bring to their work every day and understand that our differences are our greatest strength. We recognize our responsibility to foster an open, welcoming environment where students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds can collaboratively learn, work, and serve. We are dedicated to creating a climate that values and actively promotes an equitable and inclusive environment that removes barriers to full participation.
The Public Services Librarian (12-month full-time appointment) has a strong commitment to service and learning for our diverse community including our students, faculty, and staff of the University as well as the local community. Under the direction of the Head of Access Services, this position works collaboratively to develop innovative approaches to instruction, research assistance, marketing and outreach for the College of Merchandising, Hospitality & Tourism. The Access Services Department focuses on facilitating access to information resources, providing user services, and student engagement. This position also assists with coordinating user centered services to promote student success, support faculty research and engage our diverse populations. The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to continual professional development through scholarly research and service such as publications, presentations, and participation and leadership in the work of relevant professional associations.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Serves as the subject librarian to faculty and students of the College of Merchandising, Hospitality & Tourism (CMHT) to provide specialized research assistance and instruction services, including embedded and individual research consultations and library instruction
- Develops web content and library instructional materials, including class pages and subject guides
- Provides communication and outreach to CMHT faculty and students including distance learners
- Facilitates collection development for relevant subject areas
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and issues in merchandising, hospitality management, and tourism
- Works collaboratively with the Head of Access Services to design and support user-centered services
- Serves as a member of the Access Services Management Team
- Advances university and library goals through professional partnerships; works collaboratively to develop training, services and outreach activities
- Effectively collaborates with and maintains a collegial working relationships with all constituents and works effectively across library departments and divisions
- Meets the requirements for scholarly, creative, and professional activities
- Meets the requirements for service to the libraries, university, and the community
- Fosters positive relations with faculty, students, and staff and promotes the University's and Library's commitment to diversity and inclusion
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information sciences or an international equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of recent public service experience in an academic library setting
- Demonstrated experience in providing research assistance or instruction in an academic library setting
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to adapt to change, adjust priorities, take initiative, set goals, manage time wisely, and make quick effective decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Aptitude for thinking creatively and developing products and services, such as publications, training materials and workshops
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with faculty and staff
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
- Experience providing library and information literacy instruction
- Experience in project management and leading a team
- Experience creating innovative services or programs
- Experience creating and maintaining LibGuides
- Experience using assessment tools and techniques
Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and candidates who have had experience working with students from underserved populations are encouraged to apply.
Physical Requirements: Ability to communicate
Area of Specialty: Public Services Librarian
Security Sensitive: This is a security sensitive position.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Driving University Vehicle: No
Posting Number: F431P
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be reviewed until the position is closed. Position start date is September 1, 2021.
To apply, please submit a cover letter that includes a statement about your experiences serving a diverse community, CV, and contact information for at least three professional references.
Quicklink for Posting: https://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/44684