Library Executive Director -- The University of Texas at Tyler -- Tyler, TX
The University of Texas at Tyler is searching for an Executive Director of the Robert R. Muntz Library and welcomes all qualified individuals to apply. The review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The desired start date is January 14, 2019.
The University of Texas at Tyler (UT Tyler) is an emerging force in Texas higher education and is one of the fastest-growing universities in Texas with the vision of becoming the primary educational and economic driver of East Texas. UT Tyler offers bachelors’, masters’, and doctoral degrees. The University’s 10,000 students attend classes on one of four campuses and also have opportunities to complete degrees through online instruction.
Tyler is located an hour and a half from the Dallas and Shreveport metro areas, and three hours from Houston. Tyler is a growing city with a population of approximately 100,000 and boasts of a strong economy, reasonable housing costs, and excellent health care facilities. Tyler is the economic hub of East Texas.
Position Title and Description
Executive Director of the Robert R. Muntz Library provides effective administration and leadership for the academic library which supports the teaching, research and learning goals of the University and the four pillars of UT Tyler’s strategic plan: Student Success; Student Engagement; Research and Scholarship; and Community Engagement.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides strategic leadership for all functions of the library;
- Develops, communicates and implements a vision of library priorities, services, and strategic direction compatible with the mission of UT Tyler;
- Guides planning and implementation of library policies;
- Directs the activities of the professional and support staff;
- Provides information and reports as required by UT Tyler, UT System, state and national agencies;
- Conducts ongoing reviews and assessments for continuous improvement of library programs, resources and services;
- Ensures that the library has appropriate staff to carry out its functions;
- Provides appropriate training and/or professional development opportunities for the staff through continuing education programs, workshops, and professional activities;
- Manages the budget to ensure effective and efficient use of fiscal resources;
- Ensures that information, digital, and technological resources remain up-to-date and meet the needs of users;
- Identifies online services which support instructional programs and coordinates the installation of the same;
- Creates an active learning environment that encourages faculty and students to utilize the library as a learning community; and
- Participates in University committee activities, serves as a UT Tyler library representative to the public, and leads collaborative efforts to promote the use of library resources in communities in East Texas.
Education & Experience
- Required: Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in an academic library with at least two years in a managerial role. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse members of the academic, library, and public communities.
- Preferred: Doctorate from an accredited ALA program. Ten or more years of experience in a university library with progressively responsible experience and least four years in a managerial role. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse members of the academic, library, and public communities.
Contact: Office of Human Resources
The University of Texas at Tyler
Phone: (903) 566-7234
The University of Texas at Tyler is an EEO Employer