Reference Librarian -- Temple College -- Temple, TX
Position Title: Reference Librarian
Annual Salary: $40,000 - $45,000
Salary Comment: Professional Level 3 plus compensation for additional education and relevant experience.
Telephone: (254) 298-8580
Fax: (254) 298-8587
Required Education: Master's Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
Contact Person: Human Resources
To apply: https://templejc.peopleadmin.com/
Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution. Familiarity with common computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite, library information resources and library information systems.
Under the general supervision of the Division Director, Learning Resources, the incumbent performs research and provides reference, instruction and circulation services to students, faculty and staff. The incumbent will assist patrons with library and information needs, oversee interlibrary loan services and maintain library web page content.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will:
- Assist Temple College students, faculty and staff with library information resources and related research methods.
- Develop, schedule and conduct library bibliographic instruction sessions.
- Perform circulation desk functions.
- Collaborate with faculty to achieve information literacy learning outcomes through provision of bibliographic instruction and subject research guides.
- Collaborate with faculty to coordinate acquisition of appropriate library resources to support curriculum and programs.
- Evaluate library holdings; make recommendations for withdrawal and acquisition of materials.
- Oversee interlibrary loan services; process loan requests from patrons and participating institutions.
- Assist in developing and maintaining the library’s web pages including the creation of original content.
- Create and publish library information resource guides though the LibGuide portal.
- Track and compile electronic resource usage statistics for required reports.
- Oversee library email account; answer reference questions; process material and service requests.
- Place "Holds" on patron accounts as needed in the Voyager and Datatel systems and perform routine tasks on those systems.
- Make recommendations for and participate in the development of the library budget.
- Participate in the development and achievement of annual library goals and objectives.
- Assist in the development of library policies.
- Keep current with modifications to library and college policies and procedures; attend training as necessary to adjust to changes.
- Participate in college committees and councils; attend meetings and commencement ceremonies as required.
- Promote library resources and services to the college community.
- Work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Perform other job related tasks as assigned by the Division Director, Learning Resources.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of academic research methods.
- Knowledge of academic databases and research techniques.
- Knowledge of FERPA policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of interlibrary loan services.
- Knowledge to evaluate library holdings.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the operation of Integrated Library Systems.
- Knowledge to perform circulation desk functions.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret and evaluate patron information needs.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty on instruction and collection development.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Effective planning, organizational and teaching skills. Effective planning, organizational and teaching skills.
- Experience providing reference services.
- Ability to use, and assist others with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to implement operational policies and procedures in area of expertise.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to track, compile and interpret library resource usage statistics; generate required reports.
- Ability to place and remove holds using the Datatel user interface.
- Ability to work individually and as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as required.
- Ability to process loan requests from patrons and participating institutions.
- Ability to perform circulation desk functions.
- Ability to evaluate library holdings and make recommendations for withdrawal and acquisition of materials.
- Ability to develop, schedule and conduct library library bibliographic instruction sessions.
- Ability to create and publish library information resource guides in the LibGuide portal.
- Ability to develop and maintain the library’s web pages including the creation of original content.
- Ability to research and utilize electronic library resources.
Preferred Qualifications: Academic Library Experience.
Physical Demands: Moderate physical activity is required with occasional lifting and manipulation of books or objects up to 35 pounds.
Work Schedule: Monday – Wednesday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Thursday 12:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Total hours required per week: 40